While File Sharing networks are often very robust, having multiple networks available at any time can only improve this.
This list is not exhaustive.
Please see The Halls Of The Dead for projects and clients which have gone quiet
This is the future. -- Sy
- giFT - Uses it's OpenFT protocol, FastTrack, Gnutella and OpenNap. However giFT is intended to be a filesharing API able to work independently of protocol.
- mldonkey - (Windows, Linux, MacOSX, etc.) - an eDonkey2000 clone at first, but can now access Overnet, SoulSeek, BitTorrent, FastTrack, OpenNap, Gnutella, DirectConnect ... The software is split in a server half and the client half. The server is the actual file sharing program and the client is what you use to search, tag files for download etc. The latter is available is lots of different software for even more platforms than the server is.
- All Thumbs - (Windows) - A combined web/news/Gnutella file grabber specialized on downloading images, but usable for all file types.
No longer available:
- ToadNode - (Windows) - Formerly a Gnutella-only client, the new versions of ToadNode use a flexible plugin structure to access multiple networks. These brilliant pieces of work made a flash-only site. I have no clue what's inside. -- rack
Multi-Network Search Tools
These are tools which understand several public networks and provide one easy interface for a user to search for files. Often, these tools do not allow one to share files in turn. Users of this type of software are often called leeches. <i>Personally I despise this sort of software and consider it fundamentally evil, but that's just my opinion. -- rack</i>
- NetBrilliant - (Windows) - Easy-to-use closed-source client for several file sharing networks and the web. Doesn't share files.
- Gumshoe | Sourceforge page - (Linux) - This is a console-mode client that makes it possible to search different networks such as Napster & Gnutella. New networks can be added using a simple plugin architecture. Open source.
- MP3Rage - (MacOS) - Searches Napster & Gnutella, also includes some MP3 tools. - From their homepage: MP3 Rage is the definitive collection of tools for MP3 enthusiasts with a Macintosh running Mac OS 9 or Mac OS X. You can edit ID3 tags, analyze MP3's and adjust their sound volume automatically to play at similar levels, export MP3 files to AIFF audio format for burning CD's, play MP3 files, catalog, organize, rename, find, and change thousands of MP3 files and their ID3 tags quickly and painlessly. It does all this with a clean, powerful, and easy-to-use interface.
- Ares - (Windows) - Formerly CQ_EX. From their Web Site: Ares is a peer-to-peer program to search and download files of any type. Ares features multiple source downloads, auto-search and resume to complete downloads, easy to use filelist manager with intuitive author/genre sorting, rich searches and results, adultfiler and virus protection, built-in audio/video player with playlist and web-browser. Ares's compatible HTTP web-server used to share files can also host a website and automatically update a dynamic DNS.