An internet program designed to read Usenet news. It is often similar to, or integrated with an E-Mail Client. Some news readers are designed with sophisticated composition and threading features to facilitate discussion, and others are designed specifically and solely to upload and download binaries. A non-exhaustive list of examples follows:
- Gnus - feature rich newsreader (and more) for the Emacs editor
- Mozilla Mail/News - free e-mail and news client.
- Pan - runs on Windows, *Nix, and OS X
- NomadNews - Free Usenet newsgroup downloader and poster
- PowerGrab - Only allows you to download - free
- PowerPost - Only allows you to post - free
- Newsbin - Commercial
- Xnews - Free
- Agent - probably the best commercial newsreader.
- BNR2 - Free
- Microplanet Gravity - freeware
- Binary Boy - proprietary Usenet client for Windows. Binary Boy is great for grabbing images, music and movies.
- Google Directory for windows usenet clients
Newsgroup Service Providers
- Unlimited newsgroups Commercial newsgroup service provider offering unlimited downloading
- Usenet Binaries Offering web-based and NNTP access to 120,000 newsgroups.
Binary Download Tools
- Newsan - WWW / Perl frontend to a newsserver. Meant to grab and post binaries rather than reading or posting text. Supports NZB, PAR2, and many more.
- PHP News Reader - WWW / PHP frontend to a newsserver with a more purpose features. Has native NNTPS support. Also supports a broad number of other protocols like POP3/POP3S via modules.
- Newsgrab - A CLI tool to download binary multipart encoded messages.
- nget - Multi platform CLI tool for binary downloads, with yEnc support and other features. See the nget entry for frontends, related software, etc.
- ubh - Usenet Binary Grabber is a multi platform CLI tool for downloading binaries, coded in Perl. Has yEnc support, uuencoded support and uses a MySQL database for config and log purposes.
- GrabIt - GUI, free, Windows.
- NINAN - "a webapplication to download binary content from news servers. Ninan Supports the NZB file format for easy download and runs on a server or workstation on a OS supporting Java 1.4+"
- Klibido - rich-featured binary leecher, for KDE.
- Pan - A newsreader that doubles as a grabber. Newer versions support multiserver downloads and a small memory footprint in binaries groups. free Windows X11
- Newsbin - A very known and popular binary leacher with loads of features. Runs through WINE and Linux port is in the make.
Binary Upload Tools
- Easy Post - free, Windows Usenet yEnc binary poster.
- Newspost - CLI usenet binary autoposter *NIX.
- Gnewspost - GUI, GNOME usenet binary poster.
- Knewspost - GUI, KDE usenet binary poster.
- Binarieposter - GUI, KDE usenet binary poster.
- KNZB - For KDE.
- Nzbperl - NZB support (and only that) in Perl. Seems to actually work.
- hellanzb - NZB downloader and post processor (does both simultaneously).
- NZBget - A bit buggy, no longer developed.
- NZB Leecher - free, open-source, Windows application that searches NewzMonster, alt.binaries.nl, usenetjunkie, newzBin, Binnews and Eweka newsgroups indexing sites to create .nzb files.