GNU Wget is a non-interactive CLI download utility which can be invoked from for example a user's shell or from a web browser. Many projects embed GNU Wget together with their own (unique) functionality.
It includes a few nice features including:
- Protocol support: HTTP / FTP.
- HTTP proxy, cookie support.
- Resuming, with -c option. Will also retry downloads in the case of a network problem.
- Progress bar. Also fits in together with the resuming support, showing what was already there.
- Statistics. How fast are you downloading today?
- Spider: it can follow HTML links, download many pages, and convert the links for local viewing. Also useful for mirroring a FTP directory or web site.
- Many NLS are available allowing the user to use GNU Wget in their own language
- Custom browser identify header. (Pretend to be Internet Explorer or iTunes!)